Tennis star Nick Kyrgios has postponed his trial until October
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Tennis star Nick Kyrgios did not appear in an Australian court on Tuesday when a charge of common assault was first filed.
Kyrgios, 27, who was not required to appear in the Australian Capital Territory Magistrates’ Court, was represented by his solicitor Michael Kukulies-Smith. He was not required to enter a plea or apply for bail.
Magistrate Louise Taylor adjourned the case to October 4.
Kyrgios remains in the United States to prepare for the US Open, which starts next week.
The charge relates to an incident in January last year in Canberra which was reported to Australian Capital Territory Police in December. It would be his former girlfriend, Chiara Passari.
Kukulies-Smith told the court that Kyrgios “spends very little time” in Canberra, where he grew up.
Kukulies-Smith hinted at filing for a future court date “capable of finalizing the case,” but did not provide details.
Police charged Kyrgios by summons in July as he enjoyed the best run of his career at Wimbledon. The charge carries a potential maximum of two years in prison.
Kyrgios reached his first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon before losing in four sets to Novak Djokovic. He said at the time that his lawyers advised him not to comment on the court case.
More AP Sports: https://apnews.com/hub/sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports