Novak Djokovic part of Indian Wells draw but status unclear

Novak Djokovic was entered into the draw for this week’s Indian Wells ATP/WTA tournament on Tuesday, but it’s unclear if he will take part in the tournament, organizers said. A brief statement from tournament organizers said officials were in contact with Djokovic’s team to determine whether he would play in California or even be allowed to enter the United States as he was not vaccinated against the coronavirus. . “Novak Djokovic is on the tournament entry list and is therefore placed in the draw today,” the tournament chiefs said.

“We are currently in communication with his team; however, it has not been determined whether he will participate in the event obtaining CDC approval to enter the country.”

Djokovic is a five-time champion in Indian Wells, where organizers said proof of full vaccination will be required for spectator entry to the tournament grounds in the California desert.

Under US government regulations, all non-US citizen travelers entering the United States must be vaccinated against Covid-19.

Djokovic was kicked out of the Australian Open in January after officials said he did not qualify for unvaccinated travelers trying to enter the country.

Djokovic’s visa was eventually revoked and, after a failed legal appeal, he left without playing.

While Djokovic’s status remains up in the air, Tuesday’s draw raised the possibility of another blockbuster showdown between new world number one Daniil Medvedev and 21-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal.

Russian star Medvedev is set to face Nadal in the semi-finals in what would be the duo’s third meeting in less than two months.

Before that though, top seed Medvedev may have to negotiate a tricky assignment against fifth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals.

Nadal has won both of his meetings with Medvedev this year, winning an epic Australian Open final before claiming victory at the Mexican Open last month.

Medvedev has never won Indian Wells and was knocked out in the round of 16 at last year’s tournament.

Fourth-seeded Nadal meanwhile is a three-time winner of the California showpiece and will take part in the tournament for the first time since 2019.

Promoted

The 35-year-old Spaniard reached the semi-finals or better in eight consecutive tournament appearances between 2006 and 2013.

Nadal, who joins the fray in the second round on Saturday, could face Sebastian Korda in his opener.

Topics discussed in this article


Source link

Comments are closed.