Indian tennis star Sania Mirza puts retirement plans on hold

Indian tennis star Sania Mirza withdrew from the 2022 US Open on Tuesday due to a tendon injury in her forearm and hinted at a change in her retirement plans.

The 35-year-old suffered the injury while competing at the Canadian Open earlier this month. She played at the Cincinnati Open last week before reaching the women’s doubles semifinals in Toronto with partner Madison Keys.

Earlier this year, Sania said 2022 would be her last season in professional tennis, but the six-time Grand Slam champion hinted the latest developments could change her retirement plans.

“I have some not so good news. I hurt my forearm/elbow while playing in Canada two weeks ago and obviously didn’t realize how bad it was until I had my scans yesterday. I tore my tendon a bit,” Sania Mirza said in a statement on Instagram.

“I’ll be away for (a few) weeks and I’ve pulled out of the US Open. It’s not ideal, and it’s a terrible time. It’s going to change some of my retirement plans, but I’ll hold you all aware,” she added. added.

The former doubles world number 1 was on maternity leave from 2018 until her return to the court in January 2020 in Hobart. Sania teamed up with Nadiia Kichenok of Ukraine to clinch the title. At the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, the newly formed pair of Sania and Ankita Raina couldn’t shine and suffered a first-round exit. The Ukrainian pair of Nadiia and Lyudmyla beat them convincingly.

Earlier this year, Sania and her Czech partner Lucie Hradecka were eliminated in the third round of women’s doubles at Roland Garros. The Indian star also bid farewell to Wimbledon after she and partner Mate Pavic of Croatia lost the mixed doubles semi-final to Neal Skupski and Desirae Krawczyk.


Source link

Comments are closed.