Fit-again Andy Murray full of conviction ahead of Wimbledon | Tennis News

LONDON: Andy Murray has cleared the abdominal injury that threatened his participation in Wimbledonsaid the former world number one on Saturday before declaring that there were still a lot of “good tennis” left in him.
Murray, who won Grand Slams on grass in 2013 and 2016, was injured in his Stuttgart Open final loss to Italian Matteo Berrettini earlier this month after impressive wins over Stefanos Tsitsipas and Nick Kyrgios.
The issue forced 51st-ranked Murray to skip the Queen’s Club event with doubts over his Wimbledon appearance, but the Scot said things have since improved.
“It went well,” Murray, 35, told reporters. “I was able to progress gradually in my training this week and I was able to play a few sets, a lot of points. The last few days have been good.”
Murray picked up his first win over a top-five opponent in six years with a 7-6(4) 6-3 win over Tsitsipas in Stuttgart, showing fans a glimpse of the form that marked his rise to the top of the filing before multiple hip surgeries.
He reached the 70th final of his career and the second of the year after a runner-up finish in Sydney.
“I think I showed a few weeks ago that I still have good tennis left,” Murray said. “I beat a guy in the top five, I was neck and neck with Berrettini, who is one of the best grass players in the world before the injury.
“I also played well against Kyrgios. The first set was at a good level. And I did pretty well in practice. I know the tennis is there; I just have to bring it out during the event now .
“Having Ivan (Lendl) in my team helps. We’ve had a lot of success in the past. We know each other well. He always believes in me. Period, and he did. It really helps.”
Wimbledon starts on Monday, with Murray facing Australia James Duckworth in the first round.


Source link

Comments are closed.