Djokovic promises to use tough experiences to fuel his season | Tennis News

Novak Djokovic plans to use the difficult experiences he has endured this year due to his non-vaccination against COVID-19 as fuel for the rest of the season, the world number one said on Sunday ahead of his return to the action in Monte Carlo.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion was unable to defend his Australian Open title in January after being expelled from the country, having initially been admitted to the tournament despite not taking the vaccine .
“I try to be optimistic in life and I consider myself a very optimistic and positive person,” Serbian Djokovic told reporters. “I take lessons available in every experience, especially in something as important as what happened in January.
“Once I start playing games… obviously I will have to deal with whatever has probably been sleeping inside and maybe waiting to come out.
“I don’t feel like it’s left huge scars that I’m unable to train or compete in tournaments or live my life…far from it.
“But the last few months have been tough and something I’ve never experienced before. So I’ll try to use that as fuel for what’s to come.”
Djokovic, who has made just three appearances this year – all in Dubai – said he missed the competition.
“The last four or five months have been really tough for me mentally and emotionally, but I’m here. I’m trying to put it all behind me and move on,” Djokovic said.
“My victory at Roland Garros last year is still fresh in my memory, so I try to take inspiration from that to start the clay-court season in the best possible way.
“I intend to play the whole season on clay according to my schedule from previous years. I understand that I probably won’t be at my best especially at the start of this week, so I’m testing my engine, so to speak. , and build my game.”
Djokovic begins his campaign on clay against Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina at the Monte Carlo Masters which begins on Monday.


Source link

Comments are closed.