Berrettini says running to win Wimbledon after Queen double | Tennis News
World number 11 Berrettini beat Serbian Filip Krajinovic 7-5, 6-4 in Sunday’s final of the grass-court Grand Slam warm-up to claim his second straight title in London, a week after winning beat Andy Murray to honors in Stuttgart.
The 26-year-old Italian lost to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final last year and is keen to do better this year after bouncing back from a nearly three-month injury layoff to win back-to-back tournaments.
“I don’t know if I’m the favorite because Novak and Rafa (Nadal) are still there; Rafa has already won two Grand Slams and no one expected him to win in Australia,” Berrettini said in an interview. with Sky Sport Italia. broadcast on Monday.
“I don’t feel like the favorite but I know I can do it, I can’t pull the wool over people’s eyes. My aim is to have a big tournament at Wimbledon and I hopefully it will be two intense weeks.”
Sunday’s win meant Berrettini joined John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Murray as the only Open-era players to win back-to-back Queen’s titles.
Prior to his two recent victories, Berrettini had endured a tough few months, dropping out in Acapulco with abdominal issues in February and then missing the entire European clay-court swing after hand surgery.
“After a very good week in Stuttgart, it would have been easy not to really slow down but to let my problems overwhelm me,” he said.
“Instead, I found the right level of energy and winning such a prestigious tournament is really very special.”
Wimbledon begins next Monday, with the ATP and WTA tours stripping the event of ranking points following the All England Club’s decision to ban Russian and Belarus players following the invasion of Ukraine.