Alexander Zverev placed on probation following Mexico collapse

Alexander Zverev received a suspended sentence on Monday following his violent outburst and disqualification in Acapulco last month, the ATP Tour reported. The 24-year-old Olympic champion was banned for eight weeks and fined an additional $25,000 following his meltdown in Mexico. The world number three had previously been fined $40,000 for verbal abuse and unsportsmanlike conduct. However, the ban and the additional fine of $25,000 will be suspended provided Zverev does not commit another violation of the code during the 12-month period ending February 22, 2023.

“If the conditions are met, the sanctions will be formally canceled at the end of the trial period,” the ATP said in a statement.

“If the conditions are not met, the sanctions will be invoked after exhaustion of any appeal procedure.”

Zverev shocked the tennis world at the Mexican Open last month after repeatedly smashing his racket against referee Alessandro Germani’s chair after a doubles match.

He also delivered a salvo of verbal insults at the official after the elimination of Zverev and his partner Marcelo Melo, which earned him disqualification from the tournament.

The ATP said a review of Zverev’s conduct found he had committed “aggravated behavior” under the rules of conduct played by the ATP.

Zverev issued a public apology following his disqualification from Acapulco, saying his behavior had been “unacceptable”.

“It’s hard to say how much I regret my behavior during and after yesterday’s doubles match,” Zverev wrote.

Promoted

“I privately apologized to the chair umpire because my outburst towards him was wrong and unacceptable.”

Zverev is scheduled to play in the ATP/WTA tournament in Indian Wells, which kicks off in California later this week.

Topics discussed in this article


Source link

Comments are closed.